Maths at Scotts Primary School
Mathematics is everywhere; indeed, we are all mathematicians. Maths isn't simply a subject that remains in the classroom, but a way of thinking - the foundations of problem-solving upon which we build throughout life.
At Scotts, we believe being good at maths isn't about answering questions but instead: asking them. We encourage our children to persevere, reminding them that resilience is a life-skill that will be called upon throughout life - where better to develop this than with Maths?
We understand the small-steps children need to take in order to make links between knowledge and then apply it with fluency.
Children rehearse the following skills daily:
• Arithmetic - carefully planned variation within tasks to draw out explicit patterns and purposeful practice to deepen understanding
• Concrete, pictorial and abstract tasks to highlight connections.
• Problem solving and reasoning which builds upon procedural fluency.
Understanding how maths plays a vital role in everyday life enables our children to apply their knowledge and skills to 'real-life' scenarios with confidence and ease.
STEM ambassador assembly
We were lucky enough to have STEM ambassador, Georgia Madden, talk to us in assembly about her engineering career and how she has used maths to build a very successful career in motor engineering and motor sports. She spoke to use about the focus on equality and diversity within STEM and how there is an opportunity for everyone to succeed. A very inspiring assembly!
Year group lesson overviews
Development matters document
Year group success criteria
Examples of work
- Shape: https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/geoboard/
- Telling time:
- Times table rockstars https://ttrockstars.com/
- Mathletics https://www.mathletics.com/uk/
- Fractions -https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/fractions/