Maths at Scotts Primary School
Mathematics is everywhere; indeed, we are all mathematicians. Maths isn't simply a subject that remains in the classroom, but a way of thinking - the foundations of problem-solving upon which we build throughout life.
At Scotts, we believe being good at maths isn't about answering questions but instead: asking them. We encourage our children to persevere, reminding them that resilience is a life-skill that will be called upon throughout life - where better to develop this than with Maths?
We understand the small-steps children need to take in order to make links between knowledge and then apply it with fluency.
Children rehearse the following skills daily:
• Arithmetic - carefully planned variation within tasks to draw out explicit patterns and purposeful practice to deepen understanding
• Concrete, pictorial and abstract tasks to highlight connections.
• Problem solving and reasoning which builds upon procedural fluency.
Understanding how maths plays a vital role in everyday life enables our children to apply their knowledge and skills to 'real-life' scenarios with confidence and ease.
Year group lesson overviews
Development matters document
Year group success criteria
Examples of work
More coming soon...
- Shape: https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/geoboard/
- Telling time:
- Times table rockstars https://ttrockstars.com/
- Mathletics https://www.mathletics.com/uk/
- Fractions -https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/fractions/