We are very excited about the development of our outdoor learning and forest school provision at Scotts Primary School.
What is Forest School?
Forest School is a child-centred inspirational learning process, that offers opportunities for holistic growth. It is a long-term program that supports play, exploration and supported risk taking. It develops confidence and self-esteem through learner inspired, hands-on experiences in a natural setting. (Forest School Association)
The 6 Principles of Forest School
- Forest School is a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a lifelong relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners, who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
(Forest School Association)
Our Vision of Forest School
We are excited to begin the development of our Forest School programme in order to offer children throughout the school outdoor learning opportunities in our on-site outdoor learning environment. Through these sessions, children will be offered hands- on learning experiences through which they will build practical skills, self esteem and resilience.
- Member of staff enrolled on Forest School Level 3 Leader training- starts March 2022
- Preparation of designated outdoor learning environment